The Texas Tiger Chronicles

Monday, May 22, 2006

An evening with the Taurus from Texas

A TAURIfic EVENING


The Taurus is symbolized by the bull and ruled by the planet Venus. Taureans are considered to be practical, patient, and good-natured; they also can be jealous and stubborn. They appreciate beauty and are attuned to the physical world.

Notable births on MAY 16

Janet Jackson (world-famous Diva)


Texas Tiger (local celebrity)

Notable deaths on MAY 16

Jim Henson (creator of the Muppets)
Sammy Davis Jr. (my style icon)



I celebrated my birthday last Friday in New York City at Fashion Forty Lounge. Dj Whoo Kid (formerly of the G-Unit) manned the wheels of steel for my joint. The party invitation listed a start time of 10pm, so imagine my surprise and dismay when I made my tastefully late arrival at 11pm to find that I was the first person at my own party. Well, technically the fourth. The party was a joint celebration for my friend Donya who also celebrated a birthday this past week. As we approached Forty Forty, I ran into a college alum who has just stepped out of the lounge. I thanked him for his prompt arrival. But as for those others…

I started off my evening uptown with a chocolate martini toast. I was awaiting the arrival of my friend Tina, but she never arrived (She did however make it to my party at about 1:30am. Did I mention it started at 10pm?).

As I walked over to my computer and keyed up Whitesnake’s “Here I go Again On My Own”, I toasted myself and slipped into my fitted attire for the evening.


I wanted to feel fun fresh and festive. And nothing says festive like a skin-tight leather corset. And that’s how I was feeling.

I wore black leather loafers, grey fitted slacks, a white-tuxedo shirt with ruffles and a black corset. My roommate Claudia laced me up in the bathroom. We had a very intimate moment. As I held onto the sink for dear life, she pulled and pulled and pulled until my 27-inch waist got down to a 24. I was like Calista Flockhart the year Ally McBeal got cancelled. Stylishly stressed.

Donya was a lot more low-key. She wore a black blouse paired with black boots and some dressy army fatigues. Think Destiny’s Child Soldier video. Or Survivor during the bridge, right before Michelle’s gospel breakdown. In the middle of the storm with the weave flailing in the wind machine.

We had 85 RSVPs and a few people came through who did not RSVP (which totally ignores the Evite I created). The party promoter Jay Wright, a Hampton alum, was very nice and generous. And so were our friends. Every time I looked towards the table there was a fresh bottle of Moet and we kept popping bottles all night. My only regret is that the DJ did not play my Beyonce “Check on it” theme song but he did give me “Crazy in Love” and Shawna’s new song “Getting Some.” I did special routines for both.

You know its been a great year for me here in New York. But this has also been a year of accomplishment for some very special people in my life.

I am happy for my lovely and beautiful friend Daisy who just got a HUGE job as an editor at Essence Magazine.

And how excited am I for my friend Jackie who just accepted BOTH the 2006 Fulbright Scholarship AND the Yale-Clinton Fellowship. She will be moving to Ethiopia to work on behalf of former President Bill Clinton where she will run a hospital for children living with HIV/AIDS and then she will be off to Indonesia to study healthcare reform. She’s the Black Angelina.

Plus, my friend Carla just completed her dissertation defense and will be receiving her PhD from my alma mater, Northwestern University, this June. And she is all of 25 years old. She’s my own Little Woman Tate.

Daniel, one of the most prolific painters I know, was commissioned to design and create the Logo for the National Black Aids Institute of Los Angeles.

Three friends, Bobby, Cuttina and Camilla are all getting married, not to each other.

My friend Sheeba is down to Lindsay Lohan’s size (Pilates of course). My friend Samantha is on her way to becoming a great tv director and Teena Marie released a new album. I am beside myself with enthusiasm. I haven’t felt this happy since I discovered the perfect shirt at Bergdorf Goodman.

BUT WHERE THERE’S PAIN, THERE’S GOT TO BE HURT

The only bad thing that happened last week was my sister, Nicole, broke up with DJ AM again. I really hope this does not make her spiral out of control. We usually run neck-and-neck in the waistlines and I can’t afford another three inches from the middle. The dramatizations of my remaining ample portions may have me mistaken for the male Buffy the Body.

COCKTAILS IN THE CITY

UPTOWN SATURDAY NIGHT, my friend Colin had a very nice cocktail party. And in typical new fashion, everyone was gorgeous, interesting and well-conversed. Except for the occasionally “boy-toy” or “trophy-girl” who only added eye candy (devoid of substance) it was a perfect evening.

I enjoyed several conversations. For me it was an evening of style and sophistication. I was channeling my idol Gordon Parks in a fitted mustard brown shirt and green and orange plaid pants. Coming off the heels of my birthday party I could have given my body a rest from the fitted wear. But I didn’t.


I had to give my cell phone to my friend Shawn because my pants were so fitted I didn’t have room left for anything besides ambition.

And you know I have never been the type of man you can pick up at a club. Not because I am snotty. I mean, I’m just like anyone else. Give me three shots of Patron and start talking.


But it is very awkward to have a nice conversation with the new Chris Brown blasting over a booming speaker system. And usually by that time I am on the floor throwing down Texas-style. And who would appreciate my thoughts on the Charlie Sheen/Denise Richards breakup at a hip-hop club in Brooklyn? Anyone?

I am a fan of the NY cocktail party. A stiff martini. Some neo-soul. Add an eloquent conversation partner and I’m pleased. And I was. Over and over again. Some moreso than others. Though I am not certain the “moreso” knew they were my “moreso.” But I left having a crush on one of my eloquent conversation partners. And it’s the summertime. So why not? Its always nice to have ice cream in Central Park with someone. Here’s to a great summer in New York…..


Posted by Texas Tiger in NYC :: 6:10 AM :: 2 Comments:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------