The Texas Tiger Chronicles

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Summer in Berlin, Rainy night in New York

Mood: It’s raining here in New York. But the sun is shining on my life.

Mode: Tonight I am “In effect mode.” I’m thinking Al B Sure! meets Banana Republic for the after work set. I’m donning a checkered shirt with a collar starched stiffer that Laura Bush’s upper lip. The shirt is Banana Republic with a brown on blue checkered pattern. I topped it off with a Tommy Hilfiger tie. I’m wearing Banana Republic cotton slacks, which are quite thick for a warm and toasty night. It is very windy. But I can tell you nothing was getting through those pants unless it has a Black card.

Melody:
Grace Jones “La Vie en Rose” from the 1977 debut album Portfolio. This song reminds me of falling in love in Paris. Taking a boat cruise down the Champs Elysees. Collecting new Eau de toilettes at the Fragonard. French fries under the white arches. Crepes at a little corner bistro. Feeling free to love without judgment or fear. All our lives. “Quand il me prend dans ses bras…Je vois la vie en rose”




Rainy Night in New York

I have recently returned from the U.S. première of the German-language film




Summer in Berlin staring Inka Friedrich and Nadja Uhl. Directed by Andreas Dresen, the film tells the story of two women each at a crossroads in their lives on a search for love and understanding. Along the way they fall in love. Not with each other. Nika falls in loved with Ronald and Katrin falls in love with anything that comes in a glass with a stem. And haven’t we all been through that romance?

The movie has been winning many awards at film festivals around the world and I felt some honored to be a part of its U.S. premiere. I was a guest of Dexter Davis, whose D. Street Releasing, in partnership with Volkswagen are bringing this splendid coming-of-age story to American audiences. Please do check it out at a theater near you.

Afterwards, I attended the after party at Bowery Bar on the lower east side. The party featured a new vodka energy drink called V2 which I took with ginger-ale and a splash of cranberry. Delicious. At the DJ saved my life. He introduced me to Jose Feliciano and the Mizell brothers of Blue Note records. I have already been to amazon.com to stock up on their respective catalogs. It was the perfect musical accompaniment to a wonderful evening.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Posted by Texas Tiger in NYC :: 3:41 PM :: 0 Comments:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------